Jump to navigation Jump to search
Before we can get to style of play, an even more abstract question is, what type of gameplay is it?
- Competitive (Skill-based? Reflex-based? Twitch games? (Competition & Skill?): whether against other players, the AI, or even yourself, every time you play you are competing to win. Play sessions are usually contained in specific maps. Often action-oriented games where the story is secondary to the actual gameplay, or games with short play sessions meant to be replayed over and over.
- Racing: each time you play, you try and finish as fast as you can
- Attack & Defend: Fight until you can't fight anymore
- Games: Chess, card games, etc
- Experiential (Experience & Creation?): While there may be an end goal or other "win" state, the game is focused as much on the journey than whether the player "wins" or "loses." Often story-based games, or games with long campaigns.
- Exploration: the primary goal is to explore or experience the world
- Goal: there is a specific goal you're working towards (build your civilization, raise a family, etc)
- Story: Gameplay is centered around a story (even if you have the option to ignore it)